How it Works – WorldPay Online Payments
You can use the WorldPay system to collect customer card payment online from a website, or by capturing a customer’s card details via other means (over the telephone or via mail order) and input the card details to collect payments yourself using the WorldPay Online Terminal.
The processes described here are the simple versions, viewed from a shopper’s point of view. For a more detailed technical description of what takes place behind the scenes, please see the How it Works section on the WorldPay website.
Online – Card Payments on Your Website
This is the process flow of a customer making a purchase on your website and paying with a Credit or Debit Card or PayPal.
- Your Customer makes a purchase on your website. Exactly how this happens depends on your own requirements and what you are selling on your website. Some examples:
- You may have a full e-commerce catalogue and shopping cart installed, your customer has put products in his basket, has gone through the checkout and has now clicked the button to pay for the purchase
- You may sell a single product or service, and you collect your customers details on a simple contact form and your customer
Please read more about different ways of selling from your website on the ‘Your Selling Website‘ page in the ‘Resources’ section.
- Your Customer is redirected to the WorldPay Payment Page to enter their card details. This page is hosted on a secure WorldPay server, which means that you never need to be concerned about the security of capturing a Customer’s card details. You can customise the look and feel of this page and add headers, footers to make this page look like it is part of your own website.
- When the Customer clicks the Make Payment link, WorldPay checks the shopper’s card details and if all is ok completes the transaction in real time. When the transaction is complete the shopper will see a thank you page and the full details of the transaction.
Telephone and Mail Order Payments – WorldPay’s Secure Online Terminal
In addition to take card payments directly online via your website, the WorldPay system allows you to process card payments in real time manually yourself using the Worldpay Secure Online Terminal. This is a WorldPay hosted secure webpage you log into with your own unique account, type in your Customer’s details that you have collected previously.
WorldPay Customer Management System
And lastly, to pull it all together: to view the details of all the payment transactions, manage refunds and other administrative tasks you use the WorldPay Customer Management System.
This description lays out the basics of payment processing. It also helps you appreciate the charges and risks involved in accepting payments.
1. Collecting payment data
Payment details are entered into the payment device or system. They could be entered by a call centre operator, read by a card-reader or entered directly into an internet page.
Details of the purchase, details from the card and the PIN are sent through to WorldPay. We identify the relevant card scheme (Visa, MasterCard etc.) and send the details through them to the bank or other institution that issued the card.
If the details can’t be verified, the payment is normally declined and the shopper or payee is asked to use another type of payment.
The issuing bank checks the cardholder’s identity, that the account has sufficient funds and that the card hasn’t been reported lost or stolen. If everything is OK, the issuing bank authorise the amount requested and reserve those funds. Once the payment transaction is complete, we send a follow-up instruction to the bank to debit the funds.
4. Settlement of funds
Your WorldPay merchant account is credited with the value of the card transaction within four working days (depending on the card issuing bank and your agreement with us).
Every month, we’ll send you a merchant statement which details the transactions processed, and how much you’ve paid for each transaction.